A week before San Diego Comic Con I decided that I wanted to have a casual yet recognizable outfit to wear around that wouldn't be too taxing on my energy or shoulders (as full suits usually are). While already juggling the Dragon Priest costume and Heartbreaker helmets around I figured I could also throw a Mark 42 repulsor arm in there, with just a week before SDCC. The next three days were filled with lots of testing, sculpting and burns.
If I was to build a single arm, I wanted it to be the highest quality I could achieve (in three days anyways). I started by sculpting the finger plate armor. I wanted the fingertips to be as accurate as possible, which meant that foam templates wouldn't cut it. I molded the fingers on my left hand with silicone putty, pulled casts of my fingers, and sculpted over the casts with plasteline so that the fingertips would be scaled to my hand. More molds were then made of the finger armor, and thin casts of the finger armor were poured in smoothcast 300.
For the second and third joints on the fingers, I cut out pieces of cardstock, coated them in smoothcast for rigidity, and smoothed the surface with bondo.
For the hand armor, I started with a template I pulled from www.therpf.com and made it with 2 mm EVA foam. I've added the hand templates below for download.
The templates were cut out and traced on to 2 mm black EVA foam, which I cut out with an exacto knife. The pieces that are directly touching my hand were cut out of non-adhesive foam, but the layered areas were cut out of adhesive foam to save me the trouble of hot gluing pieces together. For the repulsor in the center, I went to Tap Plastics and picked up a pre-cut acrylic ring and hot glued it to the center.
The forearm was cut and shaped from a large EVA foam floor mat. The basic shape was achieved with an exacto knife and the details were etched in with a hot knife. I wanted it to fit snugly over my arm, so in order to take it on/off it would have to separate somewhere. I split it right down the middle of the underside and used six powerful rare earth magnets to keep it together. Magnets were also used instead of velcro in the hand.
Next step was to mask everything off, paint it, weather it, then add lights to the hand. I used dupli color sunburst gold metallic and dark cherry metallic for accurate colors. The two LED's in the palm are powered by a specialized 12v battery, and I managed to wire the entire system into the hand.
The final piece I had to make was the plate of armor on top of the hand. I made it using the same method as the finger joints, by cutting it out of cardstock, hardening it with smoothcast, and using bondo to smooth it out. I wanted to have optimal flexibility with the glove on, so I attached two springs to the underside of this piece to allow my hand to bend in every direction it normally could without the glove on.
I was considering sculpting the ribbed sections on the underside of the fingers, but I found this glove online that had the ribbed areas printed on, so I bought a pair and hot glued all the hand armor onto it.
Final step: wear it around and feel like a badass!
Thanks for looking!