When I first started playing League of Legends, one of my favorite things to look at was the champion splash art. Zed's in particular caught my eye; he just looked like such a badass. I figured I'd give a shot at making his helmet, and perhaps eventually the entire costume will come together. This is my first big project since moving into an apartment, meaning I don't have my garage workshop, so yeah... boy do I miss having space.
I started with the typical pepakura method that I use on all of my helmets. I commissioned Jacob Morin to design a low poly model for me so that I could sculpt/add details later on with different materials.
Thus begins the grueling process of cutting, folding, and gluing cardstock to form the basic shape of the helmet. Though, this particular lid only took 3-4 hours to pep since it has almost no intricate detail. Wow, much speed.
The next step was to harden the pep. This is a two step process: outside and inside. It's important to seal the outside first in fiberglass resin so that when the inside is slushed around with polyurethane, it doesn't leak out, which is exactly what I did here. The result was a sturdy base helmet to work with.
I followed up with several layers of bondo, spot putty, and filler primer to smooth the geometric surface. Three days consisting of fill, sand, prime, fill, sand, prime, fill, sRimE, PanD, sILl, fRImE, fAND. One goes a little bit crazy after this step.
When I was satisfied with the surface, I started work on the details. The first thing I did was mark off where the vents were, then cut them out with a cutting disc on my Dremel tool.
The crest at the forehead was sculpted out of apoxie putty, which is like a combination of modeling clay and plumber's putty. It takes a day to dry, but in that time it can be shaped just like clay. I sculpted a basic shape and sanded it down the next day until it looked about right, and coated the helmet in filler primer.
The next step was prepping for molding, then actually molding. To do this, I spent about 4 hours wet sanding the helmet with 340, 800, 1500, and 2000 grit sandpaper until I could nearly see my own reflection in it. I then used plasteline and cardstock to close the gaps throughout the helmet.
The silicone I use is Rebound 25, which is gooey, sticky, and orange, perfect for helmets. Because that's all that matters. Orange. Seriously. I couldn't see the floor of my bathroom for two days.
Aaand here's the first cast! Came out pretty well overall. Part two will be about finishing the cast and attaching the red veil/hood thing. Hooray, fabric...
Thanks for reading!