I've been quiet the last week due to exhibiting at the Maker Faire and working on this project. I was asked to create a knight shield for Hillsdale High School's farewell rally in only three days, but it sounded like a fun project and a neat way for me to leave my legacy, so I thought "Sure! Why not?". Hillsdale's colors are red and blue, the mascot is a knight, and the knight's battleaxe is an emblem used everywhere so I decided to combine all those elements into one. Since I had only 2-3 days to complete it, I couldn't create the shield base entirely from scratch out of acrylic and fiberglass simply due to time constraints; I thought a large garbage bin would give me the rigidity and curve I needed for the shield. Step one: go to Home Depot and purchase a 32 gallon trash bin, measure out the dimensions with a laser, and cut with a dremel tool.
The plastic used for the bin turned out to be flimsier than I thought, so I laid a quick layer of fiberglass on the back. I used baltek mat instead of standard fiber since it's all I had at the time.
While the fiberglass was curing, I went ahead and sculpted in plasteline the battleaxe filigrees that would go on the shield.
This part was then molded and two aluminum cold casts were pulled, buffed, and weathered.
I wasn't quite satisfied with the shape of the shield, so I trimmed the shield to give it an angled top instead of a flat top. I also installed screws for the handle to be mounted. Bondo and spot putty were used to get rid of the Brute logo and make the heads of the screws flush with the rest of the shield, followed by a ton of sanding and priming.
The metallic edge ornaments were cut out of styrene.
The shield then received three hours worth of masking, layering, and painting.
It's hard to tell, but the shield was given a coat of gloss for extra shininess. I'm starting to love glossy clear coat.
The metallic ornaments were chromed and metal thumbtacks were stuck into the shield along the gold trimming to imitate rivets.
If it were not nearly 1 AM and had I another day to work on the shield, I would have epoxied the filigrees on, but hot glue was the quick alternative. I mounted the axes, gave the shield a little blackwash, added "Senior Class 2013" in silver sharpie (again, due to time constraints), gave it a quick check, and sent it off the next day. All in all, a fun, quick build. I may even make a shield for myself using this method.
Thanks for looking!